25 August 2010

Ezekiel 37

There will be a great number of you who will ask what my newest tattoo means and why I have it. As much as everyone knows how much I love to talk and am willing to explain things over and over again. I would like to take some time to explain it in writing not only so the number of times I explain it will decrease, but also in hopes that you will be able to gain something unique from
it.

The text that has inspired the piece is Ezekiel 37:1-14. Here is a little history of the book Ezekiel which was written by Ezekiel who was an Israelite priest and prophet during 593 B.C. to 571 B.C.
The book covers the siege of Jerusalem, God's judgment against the city and it's temple, the fall of Jerusalem, and then focuses on the hope for a future. Ezekiel is described as a "verbal picture book" and he spoke in prose rather then poetry. Chapter 37 talks about the resurrection and the people being brought t life by the word and spirit of
Yahweh. The passage below is directly from the English Standard Version and has the side notes integrated wherever the words varied in the original text.

"The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out in the Spirit of the LORD and set me down in the middle of the valley (plain); it was full of bones. And he led me around among them, and behold, there were very many on the surface of the valley, and behold, they were very dry. And he said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" And I answered, "O Lord GOD, you know." Then he said to me, "Prophesy over these bones, and say to them, O dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. Thus says the Lord GOD to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath (spirit) to enter you, and you shall live. And I will lay sinews (tendon) upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath (spirit) in you, and you shall live, and you shall know that I am the LORD."

So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I prophesied, there was a sound, and behold, a rattling (earthquake), and the bones came together, bone to its bone. And I looked, and behold, there were sinews (tendon) on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them. But there was no breath (spirit) in them. Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath (spirit); prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, Thus says the Lord GOD: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live." So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath (spirit) came into them, and they lived and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great army.

Then he said to me, "Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. Behold, they say, 'Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are indeed cut off.' Therefore prophesy, and say to them,

Thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I will open your graves and raise you from your graves, O my people. And I will bring you into the land of Israel. And you shall know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves, and raise you from your graves, O my people. And I will put my Spirit (breath) within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will do it, declares the LORD."

After reading the passage the tattoo pretty much explains itself. However, like all the other tattoos I have there is a specific meaning and purpose behind them. In the beginning of this passage Ezekiel argues with God and doesn't want to do what he is told. This seems to be a common reaction among anyone that I have talked to. But as you see through the passage, God fulfills what He promises even when we want to be rebellious and don't understand fully what we are doing. Another meaning is breath, we all breathe without thinking and out body will adjust to the environment which we are in. When we take time and focus on our breathing and initiate taking a breath we become involved and know what is going on. But the other times we are complete oblivious. The spirit has been given to us to accept or deny, however its presence is constantly around us and it is up to us to recognize it and concentrate in order to know what is going on. Third is the promise God has for Israel. We are all familiar with Israel's history and how many times people have cried for help. God hears their cry and raises up a great army. This promise gives us hope of a resurrection and prophesy coming true. God tells us something, then he delivers, but it may not be in the time frame that we demand it to be done, but it will be done. Be patient. Although there is a lot more meaning behind this should give you a glimpse behind my newest tattoo and if you have questions after reading this please ask me.


No comments:

Post a Comment